The Impact of Rapid Socio-Economic Change in the Okanagan Nation Territory, 1881-2031
Date: June 10, 2017
Location: Community Core of Westbank First Nation
Workshop topics include:
- Changing Occupations in the Okanagan Nation Territory
- The Rise of Urbanization in the Okanagan, British Columbia, 1881-1921
- Maintaining One’s (Gendered) Position in the Dominant Culture: Gertie Pooley’s Okanagan Orcharding Diaries (1916-1929)
- The Long Run Occupational Structure of the Okanagan, British Columbia, 1881 – 2011
- The Role of the Post Office in US Development: The Northwest
- Engaging communities on their future socio-economic development – the role of universities
Research Workshop on the Recent History of Occupational Structure and Regional Economic Strategy in Non-Metropolitan Regions
Dates: 11th and 12th June 2016
Location: UBC’s Okanagan Campus and Community Core of Westbank First Nation
The objectives of the Workshop are to enable scholars, librarians and archivists to exchange and co-create knowledge, and to lay the foundations for further study by conceiving an international research network on the history of occupational structure and regional economic strategy in non-metropolitan regions.
One of the purposes is to explore the possibility of supporting the new network by developing a SSHRC Partnership Development Grant, for submission in November 2016.
Workshop topics include (but are not limited to): the history of occupations in the British Columbia Interior and in other non-metropolitan regions, in Canada and internationally; First Nations occupational research; oral history and other methods for occupations history analysis; methods to engage publics to begin strategizing about their regional economic development; occupational history as a catalyst for creating regional economic strategies.
Confirmed participants include:
- Jeannette Armstrong (Canada Research Chair in Okanagan Indigenous Knowledge and Philosophy, UBC’s Okanagan campus)
- Heather Berringer (Chief Librarian, UBC’s Okanagan campus)
- Mike Chiasson (Faculty of Management, UBC’s Okanagan campus)
- Jordan Coble (Curatorial and Heritage Researcher, Sncəwips Heritage Museum, Westbank First Nation)
- Keith Culver (Faculty of Management, UBC’s Okanagan campus)
- Ross Hickey (Department of Economics, UBC’s Okanagan campus)
- Tara Hurley (Archivist, Kelowna Museums Archive)
- M Erdem Kabadayi (Department of History, Istanbul Bilgi University)
- Ian Pooley (Okanagan historian)
- Patricia Roy (Professor Emeritus, Department of History, University of Victoria)
- Silvia Sacchetti (Department for Public Leadership and Social Enterprise, Open University, UK)
- Tracy Satin (President, Okanagan Historical Society and Heritage Officer/Curator, Sncəwips Heritage Museum, Westbank First Nation)
- Leigh Shaw-Taylor (Cambridge Group for the History of Population and Social Structure, University of Cambridge, UK)
- Keith Sugden (Cambridge Group for the History of Population and Social Structure, University of Cambridge, UK)
Scholars, librarians and archivists interested in participating in the Workshop are invited to email the organizers for further details and to reserve a place. (There will be a Workshop fee of $100 to cover the costs of breaks and lunches).